Each Buyer or Seller will have different needs depending upon the property in question. Home inspection companies offer a wide range of services and are flexible in adjusting their services to accommodate the specific needs of either the Buyer or the Seller.
A typical home inspection covers a thorough visual and non-invasive inspection of the major elements and systems of the home that are accessible. The following list represents, but is not necessarily limited to, the concerns addressed in each area being inspected:
- Basement structure - Water penetration, water damage, structural integrity of walls, insect damage, structural integrity of support systems, window condition, floor condition, and condition of finished walls and ceilings
- Crawl space structure - Water penetration, water damage, ventilation, structural integrity of walls, support systems, insect damage and insulation including defect locations and overall condition
- Slab Structure - Water seepage into ducts (under slab), settlement and cracks
- Exterior - Walls, soffits and fascia, gutters, roof, flashing, skylights and chimney(s)
- Grounds - Walkways/steps, driveway, patio, porch, retaining walls, railings, balconies and drainage
- Roof - Type, condition, leakage, age, replacement probability
- Attic - Structure, roof decking, insulation, ventilation and water penetration
- Plumbing Systems - Water lines, waste pipes, vent pipes, fixtures and faucets, caulking and grouting, drainage, water pressure, water heater and gas pipes
- Electrical Systems - Amp rating, voltage, breakers, fuses, main panel, sub-panels, main service wire, branch wire, switches and receptacles, light fixtures, door bell and smoke detectors
- Air Conditioners - Age, condition, type, ductwork, airflow, filter, thermostat
- Furnace / Heaters - Heat exchanger, burners/elements, blower fan, ducts, airflow, filter, flue pipe, humidifier and thermostat
- Appliances - Operation of: Range, oven, exhaust fans, refrigerator, dishwasher, in-sink disposal and trash compactor (Note: Not all inspection companies survey appliances)
- Interior - Walls and ceilings, floors, steps and stairs, railings, doors, windows, and fireplace.