Every homeowner needs to set strict rules for pool use and enforce them at all times. Being proactive with your children as far as defensive swim lessons, irrespective of age, is crucial for anyone owning a home with a swimming pool.
Here are some examples of rules and safety precautions:
- Never leave children unattended around a swimming pool.
- Never leave doors, windows or barriers open to pool access.
- Pool access is via adult permission only and younger children should know that the pool area is strictly off limits.
- Adult supervision is required at all times.
- No swimming alone at any time.
- Everyone entering your pool must be able to swim or else wear a life safety device.
- Diving, running or pushing is strictly prohibited.
- Limit Pool Toys / Inflatables: These can create a hazard for most small children and with older children, if not monitored, can lead to more boisterous activity.
- Always have a phone, first aid supplies and life safety equipment visible and accessible. Make sure everyone knows where they are and how to use them.
Everyone in your home must know and respect the pool rules you set. Everyone should know the basic emergency procedures in relation to pool accidents, and if children go missing, your pool is the first place everyone should look.
Swimming pools are a great source of entertainment for everyone. Everyone will respect your rules. Have fun and stay safe!